“Brian Aldiss — this is your book!” Family, friends, colleagues and admirers were invited to contribute to this secret 65th birthday present. From all over the world came fiction, memoirs, artwork, rare photographs, anecdotes, open letters celebrating the life and achievements of this unique writer, one of the world’s leading story-tellers, one of the pillars of world SF, and clearly one of the major figures in the lives of the various contributors. The quality and range of the contributions is fascinating:
• Specially written new stories from Robert Holdstock, Kit Reed, Colin Greenland, David Wingrove, Josef Nesvadba
• Rare and Aldiss-inspired stories from Harry Harrison, Sam J. Lundwall, Robert Silverberg
• Appreciations and memoirs from, among others, Kingsley Amis, J.G. Ballard, Ken Campbell, Doris Lessing, Michael Moorcock, Frederik Pohl, Christopher Priest
• Artwork from Philip Morsberger and Patrick Eddington, plus the graphic alphabet from Joseph Reed that gives the book its name
• Contributions from colleagues, school mates, teachers, army friends, academics, agents, publishers, the Aldiss family…
Has there ever been a book quite like this one? Has there ever been a man quite like Brian W. Aldiss?
FIRST EDITION: Avernus, 1990